Saturday, April 4, 2015

Live Tweets

Here's my twitter account link:
https://twitter.com/sunilastro5150


Live tweeting a punk concert is a unique experience.   I was in the back half of the crowd, but I could still see the crowd and the band.  This allowed me less shame in tweeting during the concert, but looking down at your phone in a small venue still looks bad, especially when the band could see you.  It's rude to a lot of people because the ethos that comes with going to a rock/punk show.

The show was fun which  meant tweeting about it was easy.  I was running out of battery, so I was switching in and out of extreme power saver mode on my phone, which limited my tweets.  But, really, tweeting about live music when the venue is not big and I do not know all the bands very well means I need to reduce the amount of tweets to avoid sounding boring.

I used #againstme to link my tweets to the community of fans of the headliner band.  In this way,  I appealed to the band's fans, and I got a couple favorites from other fans.  I used more specific rhetoric to engage with the event.


As you can see, I appealed to fans by using past discography as a signal that I am not a casual fan.  It is hard to describe, but when someone references band information, it's a sign of "trust" and true allowance into the nebula of being a fan.  The hashtag is used as you can see, and I also used  the rhetoric of reliving an exciting moment to draw in attention.  Those uses of rhetoric is what I think made this live tweet session attractive to fans or just people paying attention.  I updated on bands starting and ending, material used by the band, a picture (another use of rhetoric), and relived a moment.

I had to use liquids as a term in the tweet because they were spraying beer and I did not want to reference alcohol.

To be honest, I did have some issue with what to tweet in general, because my stance on social media use is generally against light use of live tweeting (light meaning there's a difference between a small concert and the state of the union).  Material for the tweets that I used was to have people involved, but not bored.  I used band names and descriptors (genre names, their origin, musical traits) that were brief and gave viewers an idea, but not to the point of useless details that do not apply at all to the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment